soulard_market002013.gif
soulard_market002012.gif
soulard_market002011.gif
A Short History of Soulard Farmers Market
soulard_market002010.gif
soulard_market002009.gif
HOURS
HISTORY
EVENTS
HOME
VENDOR MAP
DIRECTIONS
COUPONS
The market had humble beginnings in 1779 as a flat meadow that farmers could come to, to sell their locally raised fruit, vegetables, dairy, and livestock. In 1795, Antoine Soulard was given a 122 acre plot that included the market grounds by his father-in-law, Gabriel Cerre. But, when the United States made the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, Antoine's claim to the land was put in jeopardy. It wasn't until 1836, after a lengthy legal battle and Antoine's death, that his widow, Julia Soulard, acquired the deed to the land. In 1841, she officially set aside two city blocks to be used as a farmers market. Since 1841 the market has had two main buildings, one that was built in the late 1840's and was almost destroyed in the great tornado of 1896, and the second that replaced the first, in 1929. The 1929 building is modeled after a 1419 foundling hospital in Florence, Italy and was built in the Renaissance style. It currently houses the Grand Hall Shops on the first floor and gymnasium/theater on the second floor.
Market Contact Information:
Market Phone Number
314-622-4180
 General Information
SoulardMarket@aol.com
 Renter's Information
SullivanK@stlouiscity.com
Soulard Market Logo
SOULARD AREA INFO:
Schweiger's Produce at Soulard Market
{Copyright (C) 2013 Soulard Market Com. All Rights Reserved}
It's A St. Louis Thing at Soulard Market
RESTAURANTS
SHOPPING
BARS
soulard_market001011.jpg
soulard_market002004.jpg
soulard_market001009.jpg
soulard_market001008.jpg
Follow us at:
Old Soulard Market Post Card
Epic Pizza and Sub Soulard